Travelling is one of my all time favourite things to do and whilst it is undeniably great for the soul and has so many wonderful benefits, unfortunately, its not so great for the environment, with recent research indicating that tourism is at the root of almost 10% of the world’s total greenhouse gas emissions.
So if you want to do your bit for climate change whilst also making the most of every opportunity you have to travel, here’s how to do so with sustainably in mind.
When it comes to getting around or exploring a new area you just can’t beat seeing a new city by ebike. It’s great for the environment, great for your exercise levels, and is usually the best way to live like a local and fully immerse yourself in the local culture.
Let’s face it we all know that cars aren’t great for the environment. They produce air pollution and noise pollution, and are one of the largest contributors of man-made greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change. But since eBikes don’t run on fuel, they can be an environmentally sustainable alternative to cars. And the more eBikes that replace cars, the better these benefits get.
While most people are aware that riding an eBike is beneficial, many may not realize the extent of the positive impact it could have on the environment. Therefore, we wanted to share some of the benefits.
Below is a list of benefits to the environment from Rydoze:
- Save on CO2 - Even a short drive of around 5 miles each day can quickly add up to more than 100 gallons of gas over a year, and correspondingly contribute to carbon dioxide emissions and global climate change. Cycling doesn’t require fossil fuels and can help to reduce your personal contribution to climate change.
- Reduce Smog - The environmental hazards of motorised vehicle traffic are no secret. Cars are among the largest contributors to air pollution because they emit not only carbon dioxide, but also pollutants like nitrogen oxides and particulate soot. Cycling doesn’t produce any of these pollutants and can help to keep city air clean to breathe.
- Cut Noise Pollution - Compared to a car engine, bikes are basically silent. Reducing noise pollution, especially in crowded cities, can drastically reduce noise complaints and make for a more pleasant environment. In addition, reducing noise pollution can actually have physical health benefits since long exposure to moderate noise levels can cause auditory damage.
- Use less space - A single parking space for a car can fit up to 12 bikes, which on the scale of a city can be a ton of real estate converted to uses other than parking.
- No Idling - Idling in traffic can suck up gas, producing carbon dioxide emissions and contributing to air and noise pollution. Not only do bikes not contribute to these problems when they’re stopped – they also require you to stop less frequently because you can weave through traffic or use a designated bike path.
- Use less Resources - Bikes do require materials and their manufacture has some environmental negatives, but the manufacturing footprint for bikes is minimal compared to cars. That’s even more true when accounting for leather seats, and the sheer amount of industrial materials required to put together a car compared to a bike.
- Save Trees - All tires use rubber, which typically comes from rubber plantations planted over rain forests that have been clear-cut and burned. But the skinny tires of a road bike use far less rubber than car tires, which helps to reduce demand for rubber and can save rain forests from being converted to plantations.
- Reduce Water Pollution - Motor oil, brake fluid oil, and antifreeze all leak from cars, and thanks to the number of cars on the roads have become a major source of water pollution and contain a variety of toxic substances. Bikes, on the other hand, don’t require any oil – so riding a bike can help to keep the water we drink clean of toxins.
- Save Animals - The number of animals killed by cars each day is staggering – it’s estimated to be in the tens of millions globally. While bike-animal collisions can happen, the slower speed of bikes make these collisions much more avoidable and far less dangerous to both humans and animals.
- Improve Tourism - People enjoy cities that have a big biking culture because they’re less crowded, smoggy, and loud. Plus, many cities are discovering the economic benefits of bike tourism – as they build infrastructure for residents to cycle, tourists are flocking to bikes when they visit as well.
Travelling by eBike is the cleanest form of commute, aside from walking and has countless benefits. It is also a simple, eco-friendly mode of transport. The more cars we can get off the road, the better it will be for the environment. It is an easily accessible form of transportation and leisure that is versatile across many terrains and most importantly safe and clean for the planet.
Electric bikes are now transforming the way people get around in many major cities across the world as consumers look for simple, eco-friendly transportation options. Adoption of these alternative forms of transportation will likely rise as awareness of the eco-friendly benefits of eBikes continues to increase.
So the next time you are visiting Melbourne and want an eco-friendly option to get around and explore, don’t hesitate to get in touch with The eBike Butler. We provide eBike hire and eBike tours throughout Melbourne. We will even drop off and pick up from your hotel to make your Melbourne experience as convenient as possible.